About Professor Newcombe
Professor Andrew Newcombe is Associate Professor, Faculty of Law, University of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada and teaches international arbitration, international investment law, international trade law and commercial law.
Prior to joining the Faculty in 2002, he worked in the International Arbitration and Public International Law groups of Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer in Paris.
Professor Newcombe’s research focuses on investment treaty law and arbitration. He is the co-author of Law and Practice of Investment Treaties: Standards of Treatment (Kluwer, 2009) and co-editor of Sustainable Development in World Investment Law (Kluwer, 2011). He is a regular contributor to Kluwer Arbitration Blog.
Professor Newcombe is Associate Editor (Case & Comment) for the ICSID Review—Foreign Investment Law Journal, a contributor to the Investor-State Law Guide and Canadian treaty editor for Investment Claims. In addition to his academic work, Professor Newcombe advises governments, investors and non-State actors, and acts as counsel and arbitrator in international arbitrations.
Selected Research and Publications
- “IIAs in the Americas” in M. Bungenberg, J. Griebel, S. Hobe and A. Reinisch eds., International Investment Law (Nomos – Hart Publishing, forthcoming 2013).
- "Canada” (with Céline Lévesque) in C. Brown, ed., Commentaries on Selected Model Investment Treaties (Oxford University Press, 2013).
- “Developments in IIA Treaty-Making” in A. De Mestral & C. Lévesque, eds, Improving International Investment Agreements (Routledge, 2012).
- “The Evolution of IIA Practice in Canada and the United States” (with Céline Lévesque) in A. De Mestral & C. Lévesque, eds, Improving International Investment Agreements (Routledge, 2012).
- “The Use of General Exceptions in IIAs: Increasing Legitimacy or Uncertainty” in A. De Mestral & C. Lévesque, eds, Improving International Investment Agreements (Routledge, 2012).
- “Investor Misconduct” in A. De Mestral & C. Lévesque, eds, Improving International Investment Agreements (Routledge, forthcoming April 2012).
- “Investor Misconduct: Jurisdiction, Admissibility or Merits” in C. Brown and K. Miles, Evolution in Investment Treaty Law and Arbitration (Cambridge University Press, 2011).
Professor Andrew Newcombe is co-editor of Sustainable Development in World Investment Law (Kluwer Law International, 2010), with Marie-Claire Cordonier Segger and Markus Gehring.
Download Table of Contents and Chapter 1
In 2009, Professor Andrew Newcombe and Dr Luis Paradell (Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer) published Law and Practice of Investment Treaties: Standards of Treatment.
Public access to Table of Contents and Chapter 1: Historical Development of Investment Treaty Law
Other publications by Professor Andrew Newcombe
- Book review of G. Van Harten, Investment Treaty Arbitration and Public Law (2008) 71 Modern Law Review 147.
- Sustainable Development and Investment Treaty Law (2007) 8 Journal of World Investment and Trade 357.
- Book review of Jan Paulsson, Denial of Justice in International Law (2006) 17:3 European Journal of International Law 692.
- "The Boundaries of Regulatory Expropriation in International Law" (2005) 20:1 ICSID Review - FILJ 1 and P. Khan and T. Wälde, eds. New Aspects of International Investment Law (Leiden: Martinus Nijhoff, 2007).
- Canada's New Foreign Investment Protection Agreement, published in TDM, Vol. 2 - Issue 1, January 2005 and Canadian Council on International Law Bulletin, Vol 30, Issue 14 (Fall 2004).
- "Regulatory Expropriation, Investment Protection and International Law: When Is Government Regulation Expropriatory and When Should Compensation Be Paid?" (1999, LL.M. Thesis).